the new St Pancras Station and the Charterhouse

| St Pancras Station

Paul Taylor was a railway architect before he retired, and will be our guide to the new St Pancras International Station. The core of the station is the restored ‘shed’ of William Barlow, 689 ft long, 243 ft wide and 100 ft high. For many years after it was built in 1868 it was the largest enclosed space in the world. The extension was planned by Sir Norman Foster and developed by Alistair Lansley. There is a glass extension to house the extremely long Eurostar trains and a new lower level Thameslink station has been constructed. There are four platforms for East Midland Lines to Sheffield etc, 6 platforms for Eurostar, 3 platforms for the Javelin high speed service to Kent which starts in 2009, and the station will provide a seven minute shuttle to the Olympics at Stratford in 2012.

In the afternoon move to Barbican station via the tube and walk the short distance to The Charterhouse in Charterhouse Square. This extremely beautiful building was originally a Carthusian Priory. After the dissolution of the priory the property passed through several owners until it reached Thomas Sutton in 1611, who converted it into a hospital and school. The school moved to Godalming in 1872 and the hospital became an almshouse. See the Great Chamber with richly decorated ceiling and tapestries, the galleried Great Hall built with stone from the monastic buildings, the chapel, originally the chapter house and several other buildings.

Venue information

St Pancras Station

Pancras Road London , NW1 2QP

Entry details

31 (20 for Charterhouse only). Members only. Please provide your own lunch and pay your own tube fares (Oyster card pays for itself after two tube journeys). Apply to John Brasier, 01603 438031 Meet in the entrance hall of the British Library, next door to the station, at 11am and at the gateway entrance to Charterhouse at 2.15pm. Tea and biscuits will be provided at the end of the tour
Back to top