Visit: Reform Club
| Reform Club
The Reform Club was rooted in the political activity that found expression in
the Great ReformAct of 1832. Liberals fromall over the country wanted ameeting
place in London, partly to counter themachinations of the Tory Carlton Club. The
new club opened in 1836 at 104 Pall Mall,when membership had already reached
1,000. The Committee soon planned a new club house and chose Charles Barry (who
was later architect of the Houses of Parliament) to design it. The facade is
based on the Palazzo Farnese in Rome,while the interior suggests a grand country
house of a Victorian gentleman. The principal rooms are rich in classical
ornamentation,with gilded ceilings and walls hung with the portraits of Whigs
and radical leaders of the ReformMovement. The style of the building became the
norm for such establishments in the 19th century.
Please note: visitorsmust observe smart dress code (formal wear for women,
and tie formen).
Nearest Tube: Piccadilly Circus, Charing Cross