Staged simultaneously at two venues in Bristol, this exhibition brings together key works of international contemporary art that were acquired through an Art Fund collecting scheme.
Art From Elsewhere on tour
- Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA), Glasgow: 24 October 2014 – 1 February 2015
- Birmingham Museum & Art Gallery: 14 February – 31 May 2015
- mima, Middlesbrough: 19 June – 27 September 2015
- Harris Museum, Preston: 10 October – 30 November 2015
- Towner, Eastbourne: 23 January – 3 April 2016
- Bristol Museum & Art Gallery and the Arnolfini: 22 April – 17 July 2016
Art From Elsewhere is testament to the talent and diversity of artists working across the world today. Since opening in Glasgow in 2014, the exhibition – a collaboration with Hayward Touring – has been shown at venues across the UK. The works were acquired by six regional museums through an Art Fund scheme that sought to enhance collections of international contemporary art outside of London.
Featuring painting, sculpture, installation, video and photography, the exhibition changes from city to city in order to draw out the full range of each of the collections. Among the artists featured in Bristol are Jenny Holzer, Barbara Kruger, Ai Weiwei, Ana Mendieta, and Carl Andre. Drawing on an array of important topical issues, their work addresses life in conflict zones, oppressive government regimes, the advent of capitalism and post colonial experiences.
Further pieces are also on display at the Arnolfini.