One of the oldest regiments in the British Army, the Honourable Artillery Company traces its origins to 1537, when Henry Vlll granted a charter to the Fraternity of Artillery of Longbows, Crossbows and Handguns. Initially leasing a space in Bishopsgate, the original Society of Arms evolved into the Honourable Artillery Company and moved to its present site in 1641. Highlights of this guided tour of the small museum, which provides a historical overview of the company, include examples of its collection of uniforms, weapons and drums. The treasury area contains items from the silver collection, illustrating the company’s ceremonial and cultural life, and a display of shooting medals dating from the early 19th century. The tour will be led by the Archivist.
There is a small lift (and a different entrance) for disabled access to most but not all rooms, and no disabled access to the museum.