Video: Five cultural venues by the sea
With temperatures still soaring and an urge to dip our toes in the brine, we asked broadcaster Sarfraz Manzoor for his pick of five cultural venues by the sea, all either free or half-price with a National Art Pass.
It’s already one of the hottest summers on record and the perfect time to head for the coast – why not take in a great exhibition in between ice creams and paddling? Whether it’s a close encounter with a polar bear, discovering a modern master or exploring sailors' body art, the UK has so many great cultural experiences on offer right by the seaside, you’re in danger of getting sand in your Pre-Raphaelites.
In the short film above, Sarfraz Manzoor picks five of his favourite venues by the sea, full of incredible art, artefacts and history, including the recent winner of Art Fund Museum of the Year 2018, Tate St Ives.
- Turner Contemporary, Margate, free to all, 10% off in shop with National Art Pass
- Tate St Ives, Cornwall, 50% off with National Art Pass
- Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, Hampshire, 50% off with National Art Pass
- Russell-Cotes Art Gallery and Museum, Bournemouth, free with National Art Pass
- Duff House, Aberdeenshire, free with National Art Pass
There are many more fantastic venues within easy reach of the sea all around the UK. Check out Brighton's Royal Pavilion, Penryhn Castle in North Wales, Norfolk’s Time and Tide Museum, the Scottish Maritime Museum and the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum.
With a National Art Pass you can enjoy 50% off admission price to major exhibitions and free entry to more than 240 museums and galleries like these across the UK.