These 4 torchères are from a set of 8 which formed part of a suite of early-Rococo furniture supplied by James and Ann Pascall for the Picture Gallery at Temple Newsam in 1745-6.

They refer to the story of Pan & Syrinx in Ovid's Metamorphoses. Now only 2 side-tables remain to be repatriated to Temple Newsam.

Artists include

Provenance

7th Viscount Irwin; by descent to Edward Wood; Hollis & Webb, 1947; W Waddingham (Antiques); Mallett & Son (Antiques), 1961; German private collector, Tessin; Galerie Kocher Auctions, Zurich, 2007; H Blairman & Sons Ltd.


Temple Newsam House

Temple Newsam Estate, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS15 0AE
0113 336 7461
Website

Opening times

Tues - Sun, 10:30am - 5pm (Farm closes at 4pm)

Last admission 45 minutes before closing

Back to top