Galleon tile panel
- Art Funded
- 60.5 x 153 cm
Between 1882 and 1900 De Morgan was commissioned to design tiles panels for twelve P&O ocean liners. These liners inaugurated a new era of travel to the Far East at the height of the British Empire. While none of these ships or the installed panels survive, this is one of the four known duplicate sets. The De Morgan Centre closed on 28 June 2014. A search is underway to find a new home for its collection of Arts and Crafts paintings and ceramics. From August 2015 the tile panel will be on loan to the Watts Gallery.
Private collection, America; Sotheby's, 2006.