This chair was commissioned by the 3rd Duke of Hamilton and is carved with the insignia of the Order of the Garter originally bearing the Hamilton monogram.
Chair by Unknown Artist, 16821695
© National Museum of Scotland
- Carved giltwood, upholstery & gold embroidery
- 121 x 65 x 62 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £25,041 ( Total: £71,550)
- Acquired in:
- Lyon & Turnbull
The Dukes were among the greatest patrons of the arts in Scotland. The chair was part of a suite of aristocratic parade furniture, described as one of the most extravagant baroque ensembles known in Scotland. It was later displayed in the apartments of Mary Queen of Scots at the Palace of Holyroodhouse, Edinburgh, a key location in the understanding of the 19th century romantic interior.
Commissioned by the 3rd Duke of Hamilton for Holyrood House Palace, Edinburgh; Thence by descent and at Lennoxlove House since 1946.