Ami Argand came to England to find a manufacturer to assist him in the successful production of a revolutionary new lighting system and entered into business with Boulton.
Two Argand lamps by Matthew Boulton, 1) c. 1795; 2) c. 1809
© Soho House
- Sheffield plate
- 1) 54 x 33 cm; 2) 63 x 38 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £7,188 ( Total: £23,961)
- Acquired in:
- Private collection, USA
The lamps were finally produced in the 1780s to improve on candle power and emit no smoke. The lamps differ greatly in style, one lamp is highly ornamented and the other is a more severe neo-classical example. The lamps will be featured in the Boulton bicentenary exhibition at Birmingham Museums & Art Gallery in Summer 2009.
Private collection, USA. On loan to Soho House from 1995 to 2004.
Free with National Art Pass (standard entry £6)
Easter – end October
Sat, Sun, Bank holidays and Birmingham school holidays, 11am – 3pm
Wed – Fri for guided tours by appointment - please call 0121 348 8263 to book.
Nov – Mar
Open for guided tours by appointment and special events
Closed 24 – 26 Dec