1) A landscape painted during Watts' stay in Careggi near Rome, Villa Petraja is one of the Medici villas of the area, dated 1844-45.
Petraja & Portrait of the Artist's Wife & Miss Georgina Treherne by G F Watts, 18441887
© Watts Gallery – Artists' Village
- 1) oil on canvas; 2) chalk; 3) oil on canvas
- 1) 31 x 65 cm; 2) 63.5 x 52 cm; 3) 48 x 67 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £52,339 ( Total: £66,690)
- Acquired in:
2) A beautiful study of his second wife, Mary Seton Watts painted during their honeymoon in Turkey, dated 1886-87. 3) Georgina is depicted resting and singing at Little Holland House, Watts' Kensington Studio, dated circa 1855-56. Georgina was later disowned by her family for eloping and then fought constant battles against her family and husband who were trying to get her committed to a lunatic asylum (main illustration).
The artist's widow; the artist's ward Mrs Michael Chapman; then by descent; Sotheby's, 2004.
Tuesday – Sunday, 11am – 5pm Closed Mondays (except Bank Holidays)