1) The First Lord Hatton's Book of Seals which records many documents and seals that have subsequently been lost.
Three treasures from the Finch Hatton Archive by Various artists, c. 15801650
© Northamptonshire Record Office
- Leather & vellum & parchment & ink & coloured pigments & paper & gilding
- 1) 47.5 x 38 x 6 cm; 2) 47.5 x 37.5 x 3 cm; 3) 45 x 33 x 3.5 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £20,000 ( Total: £135,000; Tax remission)
- Acquired in:
- Trustees of the Winchilsea and Nottingham Settled Estates
Includes a depiction of the earliest known seal of an English noble, Odo of Kent, pre 1089; 2) The First Lord Hatton's Ceremonial of the Creation of the Knights of the Bath which follows the knight's progression from being bathed to the actual anointment; 3) Sir Christopher Hatton, Lord Chanceller, survey of property which includes maps by the cartographer Ralph Treswell.
Archive of the Finch Hatton family of Kirby and Holdenby; on deposit at Northamptonshire Record Office since the 1920s.
Entry detailsFree to all
Tue – Thu, 9am – 5pm
Fri, 10am – 4pm
First Saturday each month, 9am – 4pm