A depiction of the interior of St.
Bolingbroke at Lydiard Tregoze by John Piper, 1940
© The Piper Estate
- Oil, pen & ink on canvas laid over panel
- 29 x 37 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £10,500 ( Total: £22,000)
- Acquired in:
- Offer Waterman & Co
Mary's Church which stands directly behind Lydiard House and is famous for the quality of its 17th Century monuments and stained glass. Lydiard's famous 'Golden Cavalier' (incorrectly titled Bolingbroke by Piper) is immediately recognisable and Piper perfectly captures that startling constrast between the gilded captain and the shadowy chancel which he inhabits.
Leicester Galleries, London; Mrs Thellussen, 1940.