Two upholstered chairs with carved woodwork and claw feet.

They are from a suite of 18 chairs and 2 sofas supplied to Arthur 6th Viscount Irwin, apparently for the London house in Grosvenor Square. Within a year they had been sent to Temple Newsam. They are the earliest documented work by William Hallett. The upholstery is not original.

Provenance

Supplied to Viscount Irwin's London house, 1735; removed to Temple Newsam circa 1736; Frank Partridge, 1922; Hall family of Longford Hall, Shropshire; sold August 1998; Messrs Gurr Johns.


Temple Newsam House

Temple Newsam Estate, Leeds, West Yorkshire, LS15 0AE
0113 336 7461
Website

Opening times

3 Nov 2015 – 12 Feb 2016
Pre-booked visits and tours only (see website to book)

13 Feb – 30 Oct
Tue – Sun
10.30 am – 5pm (last admission 4.15pm)

Back to top