- Art Funded
- 93 x 61 x 48 cm
- Art Fund grant
- £3,000 (Total: £14,000)
The Chiswick inventory of 1770 lists 'Twelve Mahogany Elbow Chairs' standing in the gallery. The architectural design, with pedimented back, acanthus, coin and fish-scale ornament, is consistent with other furniture supplied to Burlington and is attributed to Kent. Burlington, a devotee of the art of architecture, chose this pattern for temple-pedimented and truss-supported chairs in honour of Inigo Jones, who had introduced true Roman ornament to interior decoration and furnishing.
Supplied to Chiswick House c.1730; removed c.1892; private collection
Daily (closed Tues)
From April-October: 10am – 5pm
Every day (all year) 7am – Dusk
Every day (all year) 10am – 4pm
Every day (except Christmas Day) 8.30am – until approx. one hour prior to Gardens gate closing time.