The sitters, James Dawkins (1722-1757) and Robert Wood (1716/17-1771) are dressed in classical drapes.

The painting commemorates the important discovery of the Ruins of Palmyra, and the general interest in antiques at that time

Provenance

Commissioned from Gavin Hamilton by Henry Dawkins of Standlynch, Wiltshire and Overnoxton Park, Oxon, and thence by descent; on loan to the Hunterian Museum, University of Glasgow, since 1954.


Scottish National Gallery

The Mound, Edinburgh, Midlothian, EH2 2EL
0131 624 6200
Website

Opening times

Daily, 10am –​ 5pm (until 7pm Thur) Extended opening until 6pm during August

Back to top