The plate is engraved with the arms of the City of Newcastle as well as those of various gentry of Newcastle from the late-seventeenth to the early-nineteenth century, making this piece of considerable importance to the history and heritage of Newcastle.
The Garthorne Plate by George Garthorne, c. 1680
© Laing Art Gallery
- 48 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £5,000 ( Total: £20,000)
- Acquired in:
- Mr and Mrs F Graham
Its London manufacture demonstrates its perceived worth; a piece from the capital would have greater status than a provincial piece at this time. However, the later engraving on the reverse (1835) may have been local, Newcastle makers and engravers by this time being well able to undertake such work.
On loan to the Laing from vendor since 1986