This drawing was almost certainly made on the spot and shows the two fifteenth-century towers of Lambeth Palace which overlook the river and the Great Hall rebuilt around 1663 to replace the medieval hall demolished during the Commonwealth period.

Griffier also depicts a building between the Great Hall and Lollards Tower which was demolished by the architect Edward Blore in the 1820s.

Provenance

Sotheby Mak Van Waay, Amsterdam, 16/11/81, lot 217; Sotheby's, London, 18/4/66, lot 26.


Lambeth Palace Library

Lambeth Palace Road, London, Greater London, SE1 7JU
Website

Opening times

Tues, Weds, Fri : 10am - 5pm

Thurs: 10am - 7:30pm

Back to top