Scale model (1:20) of the Mongolian temple Megid Janraiseg, part of the monastery of Gandantegchinlin.

Made by the Monumental Arts Corporation of the Union of Mongolian Artists. The principal artist was Namnandorj Arvis. The temple itself was built in 1912 at the request and inspiration of the Eighth Khutuktu, Jebtsundamba, the leading Lama in Mongolia, who led the National Liberation Movement for Mongolian independence. During World War II the temple was converted into a Soviet military printing house and the statue of the deity Megjid Janraiseg was removed and sent to Russia where it has not been traced.

Provenance

Mongolia, Ulan Bator.


Pitt Rivers Museum

Entry via Oxford University Museum of Natural History, Parks Road, Oxford, Oxfordshire, OX1 3PW
01865 270927
Website

Opening times

Tue – Sun, 10am – 4.30pm

Mon, 12pm – 4.30pm

Back to top