The Chirk cabinet is also known as the Charles II Cabinet, with upper panels from the studio of Frans Francken the Younger.
The Chirk cabinet by Unknown Artist, c. 16401650
© National Trust Photographic Library/ Andreas von Einsiedel
- Ebony, tortoiseshell, silver, oil on copper, wood
- 136 x 115 x 53 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £35,000 ( Total: £280,000)
- Acquired in:
- Capt David Middleton
The cabinet has a drop-front decorated with filigree-like silver and elaborate silver mounts.The interior and exterior are set with paintings on copper. The main scenes are 'Christ and the Canaanite Woman', 'Sinite Parvulos' and 'Christ and the Centurion'.
Reputedly given by Charles II to Sir Thomas Myddelton in 1661; almost certainly at Chirk Castle since 1661.