Saint Augustine stands in the centre of this painting.

To his right, Saint Louis of France gazes out towards the spectator. To his left, a Bishop Saint is shown reading, attended by two acolytes and Saint John the Evangelist looks on form the extreme right of the painting. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

F.D. Lycett Green.




Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top