This half-length portrait features a surly-looking figure.

The sitter looks to the left and is dressed in a white cravat and a dark-blue grey coat with brass buttons. He is placed against a background decorated with red drapery. This painting was part of a collection of 117 works belonging to the industrialist and engineer F.D. Lycett Green and bequeathed to York through the Art Fund, in 1955, in recognition of the remarkable efforts made after the Second World War by its curator to transform it into a gallery of international importance.

Provenance

George Kingsley; F.D. Lycett Green.




Exhibitions at York Art Gallery

Back to top