Esholt Priory Charter by Unknown Artist

The document is a licence under letters patent of Richard III permitting Margaret Clifford to give the advowson of the church of Belton-in-Axholme, Lincolnshire, to the Priory of Esholt, with power for the Priory to appropriate the revenues of the living.

Details

Medium:
Ink on vellum, with wax seal & silk cords
Dimensions:
26 x 53 cm
Art Fund grant:
£5,000 ( Total: £24,465)
Acquired in:
1991
Vendor:
Bernard Quaritch Ltd

Provenance

Made for Margaret, Lady Clifford; by descent to Colonel Crompton-Stansfield, Esholt Hall, 1880; Sotheby's 19/6/1990, lot 70. Bernard Quaritch Ltd.

Venue details

West Yorkshire Archive Service: Leeds Nepshaw Lane South, Morley, LEEDS West Yorkshire LS27 7JQ 0113 393 9788 www.archives.wyjs.org.uk

Entry details

Free to all

Mon, Tue,Thu, 9.30am – 5pm

Share this article