The firm of Gillows of Lancaster was established by Robert Gillow in the late 1720s.
Library folio stand by Gillows of Lancaster, 1820
© Abbot Hall Art Gallery
- 76 x 66 x 36 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £875 ( Total: £3,500)
- Acquired in:
- Roger Tempest
It attracted clientele from the rising middle classes, whose disposable income was increasing in tandem with the Industrial Revolution. Although never at the forefront of fashionable furniture design, many of Gillows' ingenious and innovative design solutions were borrowed and even published by Messrs Sheraton and Hepplewhite. Colonel and Mrs George Wilson, a Lancaster heiress keen to patronize the best local cabinet makers, moved into their new and fashionable home of Abbot Hall in 1762, furnishing it with items made and supplied by Gillows. The Georgian rooms at Abbot Hall have undergone restoration to recreate the taste of Colonel and Mrs Wilson.
Broughton Hall, near Skipton.
Free with National Art Pass (standard entry charge to permanent collection is is £6.35)
50% off exhibitions with National Art Pass
2 Jan – Mid Dec
Mon – Sat, 10.30am – 5pm (4pm Nov - Feb)
Sun until 14 Feb, 12pm - 4pm