The Warwick Vase
- Art Funded
- 294 cm
- Art Fund grant
- £10,000 (Total: £253,000; Export stopped)
Found in fragments in the 18th century and restored by Scottish artist/ antiquary, William Hamilton who tried unsuccessfully to sell it to the BM, so sold it to his nephew, George, Earl of Warwick. Installed at Warwick Castle and refused to allow copies to be made until 1813. However, small copies were being made from Piranesi's engravings, which showed three views of the vase. Weight: 8 1/2 tons.
Fragments discovered at Hadrian's Villa at Tivoli in 1771 by Gavin Hamilton; Sir William Hamilton; George, Earl of Warwick; by descent; Private collection.