The pear-shaped ewer, on a shaped circular foot, is decorated with concave spiral fluting.

Its hinged lid is reeded, similarly decorated, and is surmounted by scrollwork, leaves, and a flower knob. The handle is of scroll form while the dish is oval, with serpentine reeded borders. Both the ewer and the dish are marked with the initials IBDC and are thought to have been made in Avignon about 1740.

Provenance

Frank Partridge.


The Bowes Museum

Newgate, Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12 8NP
01833 690606
Website

Opening times

Mon – Sun, 10am – 5pm

Closed 25, 26 Dec and 1 Jan



Exhibitions at The Bowes Museum

Back to top