White Houses, Ville d'Avray (Maisons Blanches, Ville D'Avray)
- Art Funded
- 33 x 46 cm
- Art Fund grant
- £2,500 (Total: £13,500)
- Sir Alfred Chester Beatty
The foreground is divided into two rectangular bands, one yellow and the other green, coaxing a hidden geometry out of the entire scene. The façades of the buildings add further stark simplicity to the design as they have been flattened to make them more cubic. The blue band of the sky at the top of the picture echoes the rhythms of the foreground and wall, enhancing the harmony of the composition. His instinctual classicism is immediately apparent in this landscape, clearly done directly from nature.
Henry Lebasque; Eugene Garlot; E. Bignou; Alex. Reid & Lefevre; Mrs Chester Beatty; Sir Alfred Chester Beatty. Lent to the National Gallery since 1955.
Share this article
William Brown Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L3 8EL
0151 478 4199
Daily, 10am – 5pm
Closed 24, 25, 26 and 31 Dec and 1 Jan