In this half-length portrait, the sitter turns to the left.

He is dressed in a black coat. The original full-length painting was titled 'Nicholas Rockox' and featured a column in the background. The painting was cut down to the current format in 1929 and there is no sign of the column from the original painting. In 1955, Mr Lycett Green presented his collection of 137 pictures to the City of York Art Gallery through the Art Fund. In 1957 he made a further gift to the Gallery, also through the Fund, of 6 paintings including this one.

Back to top