A silver porringer and cover, made by John Phillips in Dublin in 1685, the bowl with cast caryatid handles and repoussé decoration of flowers and a lion.

The bowl engraved with the coat of arms of Dopping, and the cover Weldon impaling Dopping.

Provenance

Rev Arthur Dopping DD, Bishop of Meath (1643-1697); his daughter Mary who married Arthur Weldon in 1721; by descent in the Weldon family.


Ulster Museum

Botanic Gardens, Belfast, County Antrim, BT9 5AB
028 9044 0000
Website

Opening times

Tues – Sunday,10am – 5pm
Closed Mondays (except NI Bank Holidays)



Exhibitions at Ulster Museum

Back to top