The Virgin and Child in Glory (La Vierge Coupee)
- Art Funded
- 231 x 164 cm
- Art Fund grant
- £5,000 (Total: £5,000)
Commissioned in 1673 as an altarpiece for the Archepiscopal Palace in Seville and remained there until the Peninsular War. The work was cut, the upper part of the Virgin's figure and the Child removed and a copy substituted. This portion came to England, the mutilated canvas was eventually acquired by Lord Overstone in 1862. The two original parts were reuinited by Signor Pinti, working in the National Gallery.
Collection of Mr Edward Gray; 1838 Mr Jones Lloyd (Lord Overstone); Lady Wantage; Mr A T Lloyd; Lord Overstone.
Share this article
William Brown Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L3 8EL
0151 478 4199
Daily, 10am â€“ 5pm
Closed 24, 25, 26 and 31 Dec and 1 Jan