This portrait had long been on loan to the Courtauld Institute, University of London, where it hung in the Witt Library, the great photographic archive documenting the history of painting which the sitter and her husband, Sir Robert Witt, started and, in 1944, gave to the Courtauld.
Portrait of Lady Witt by Glyn Warren Philpot, 1925
© The artist's estate
- 91 x 76 cm
- Acquired in:
- Presented by:
- Sir John & Lady Witt through The Art Fund
Not long before his death in April 1982, her son, Sir John Witt, and his wife, presented it through the Art Fund to mark Sir John's retirement as Chairman of the Courtauld's Management Committee. The picture complements portraits of Sir Robert Witt by Oswald Birley and T. C. Dugdale which were painted in 193J and presented to the Courtauld through the Art Fund the following year. Sir Robert was one of the founders of the Art Fund in 1903, and served as its Chairman from 1920 to 1944.
Presented through the NACF by her son, Sir John Witt, to mark Sir John's retirement as Chairman of the Courtauld's Management Committee.
Free with National Art Pass (standard entry £7)
50% off entry during exhibitions
The Courtauld Gallery is currently closed for a 2 year redevelopment project from September 2018.