A view of the church from the north side of the choir looking west down the nave, with part of the south transept visible on the left.
The Interior of St Bavo's Church, Haarlem by Pieter Jansz Saenredam, 1648
© National Galleries of Scotland
- Oil on oak panel
- 174 x 143 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £50,000 ( Total: £1,339,350)
- Acquired in:
Saenredam broke with the tradition of treating architecture fancifully and made accurate records of specific buildings. The measurements and drawings he did on the spot formed the basis of construction drawings, of which four survive for this painting. Their outlines were then transferred to the panels; in this case six were dowelled together, each approximately 24cm wide by 9 mm thick, to make Saenredam's largest painting.
Burgomaster of Amsterdam, Andries de Fraeff; States of Holland and West Friesland; presented with other pictures and sculptures to Charles II in November 1660 as part of the Dutch Gift; Neave family of Dagnam Park, Essex; Major Sir Thomas Neave, by 1934;