This cabinet, South German baroque in character, is one of the truly great masterpieces of English furniture.
The Channon Cabinet by John Channon, 1750
© Temple Newsam House
- Mahogany, ormolu mounts & brass inlay
- 243 x 112 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £26,890 ( Total: £211,000; Tax remission)
- Acquired in:
- Norman Adams Ltd
Not only is the design highly elaborate, but the finest cuts of mahogany have been used and the technical finish is outstanding. There is storage space within the thickness of the doors which is a very unusual design. This cabinet joins a magnificent double serpentine commode. Both pieces stand in the Blue Damask Room, one of the interiors redecorated in festive rococo style by the York school of craftsmen during the 1740s; its new surroundings therefore provide an ideal setting. This work was acquired with assistance from the Wolfson Foundation.
The Murray family of Ochtertyre, Perthshire; sold Christie's, 1949; Major Arthur Bull; beneficiaries of his estate.
Free with National Art Pass (standard entry is £5)
3 Nov 2015 – 12 Feb 2016
Pre-booked visits and tours only (see website to book)
13 Feb – 30 Oct
Tue – Sun
10.30 am – 5pm (last admission 4.15pm)