The fountain was erected against the wall of St Sepulchre's Church, Holburn and paid for by Samuel Gurney, MP, and a member of the Metropolitan Drinking Fountain and Cattle Trough Association.
The First Public Drinking Fountain by WA Atkinson, 1850
© The Geffrye Museum of the Home
- Oil on canvas
- 129 x 104 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £2,500 ( Total: £10,000)
- Acquired in:
- Oscar & Peter Johnson Ltd
Oscar & Peter Johnson.
Entry details50% off with National Art Pass
The museum is closed to the public for a major, transformational development project. It will reopen in winter 2019.
During closure, the restored almshouse will remain open for tours and a full programme of events will be run in the front gardens.