Dessert dish of porcelain painted in enamels and gilded. The heart-shaped dish with a wide salmon-pink border with reserves forming open flower heads. In the middle are the arms of William Howley, Bishop of London 1813 – 28.
- Art Funded
- Jonathan Lister, Kingschina
William Howley, Bishop of London from 1813 to 1828, commissioned these delicate items of porcelain for his official residence at Fulham Palace.
They were ordered as part of a set for a new dining room. The porcelain was made by the Chamberlain factory in Worcester. Decoration on the pieces includes a bishop’s mitre on the coffee cup and saucer, and the arms of William Howley on the dessert plate.
These three items will now be displayed as part of an ongoing project to show the palace as it might have looked during its time as the home of the Bishops of London.
Part of a dessert service or part dessert service made for William Howley, Bishop of London 1813 - 1828.
The dish was acquired by the vendor from a private collection.