This is the only existing seal matrix belonging to William de Lamberton, Bishop of St Andrews.
Seal matrix by Unknown Artist, c. 1300
- copper alloy
- 4.6 × 2.6cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £2,500 ( Total: £10,000)
- Acquired in:
- Queen's & Lord Treasurer's Remembrancer
It is a distinctive example of Medieval craftmanship and design, featuring a saltire with a scallop shell, a metaphor for St Andrews as a site of pilgrimage. The presence of a bird and a fish may allude to Lambertons connection to Glasgow Cathedral, where he was canon and later chancellor.
Found in the Boarhills region of Fife specifically NGR: NO 57586 13801; handed to the Treasure Trove unit