Henry Grey, 1st Duke of Kent, commissioned this portrait of himself to hang in his London house in St James’s Square.

It was later brought to his country seat at Wrest Park in Bedfordshire. During the 1830s Wrest Park was rebuilt by Grey’s descendant, Thomas, Earl de Grey, in the style of a French château. The painting remained in the house until the estate and its contents were sold by the family in 1917. The attribution to the Irish portraitist Charles Jervas was made in the Duke of Kent’s 1718 picture list. At other times the painting has been attributed to Jacopo Amigoni and Thomas Hudson, both of whom painted members of Queen Anne’s court. It now returns to Wrest Park as part of English Heritage’s work to restore the interiors, complete with their original contents.

Provenance

In the de Grey family collection until 1917; sold November 1917 where acquired by Robert Offley Ashburton Crewe-Milnes; by descent to Duchess of Roxburghe and subsequently to her nephew, Bamber Gascoigne.


Wrest Park

Silsoe, Luton, Bedfordshire, MK45 4HR
01525 860000
Website

Opening times

Please check English Heritage website for full details of opening hours

Back to top