Davidson was a significant figure at the Glasgow School of Art, where he was the Technical Instructor for metalwork for 38 years, from the late 1890s until his retirement in 1935.
Longcase clock by Peter Wylie Davidson, after 1902
© The artist's estate
- Ebonised wood
- 180 x 43 x 43 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £7,390 ( Total: £18,950)
- Acquired in:
- Lyon & Turnbull
His creative and technical virtuosity, drive and clarity of instruction led the GSAs metalwork department to become internationally venerated by 1900. This longcase clock is quintessentially Glasgow Style in form, construction and incorporation of motifs. The open, elongated ebonised longcase frame tapers slightly and is offset with small dots of colour through the inclusion of turquoise beads. The clocks large dial and pendulum feature variants on Davidsons classic applied motif of a flock of darting swallows. The clock will eventually go on display at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum but will initially go to the Glasgow Museums Resource Centre in Nitshill.
Peter Wylie Davidson; by descent to Muriel Davidson; then by descent.