This magnificient large dish was formerly part of the Bowes family collection and was almost certainly part of a purchase by George Bowes from the maker George Hindmarsh in 1743.

It is more elaborate in design and decoration than most dishes of this era, and reflects a more elaborate form of dining brought in from the court of Versailles, with matching sets of dishes, which led many grand families and patrons to upgrade and commission new dinner services.

Provenance

?George Bowes; John Bowes; by descent in Bowes Lyon family; private sale, 1920s.


The Bowes Museum

Newgate, Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12 8NP
01833 690606
Website

Opening times

Mon – Sun, 10am – 5pm

Closed 25, 26 Dec and 1 Jan



Exhibitions at The Bowes Museum

Back to top