Jewish Betrothal Ring by Italian

Betrothal rings from northern Italy were common in the Jewish community between the sixteenth and eighteenth century.


Details

Category:
Religious
Medium:
Gold filigree with enamel Dimensions: Diameter: 3.5 cm
Acquired in:
1937
Presented by:
Viscount Bearsted through The Art Fund

These adornments were far too large for actual wear - instead they were used more for ceremonial purposes. A bride-to-be would receive this from her fiancé one year before the marriage. The ring is illustrated with a gold filigree with large central bosses and small border bosses in blue and white. Its blue enamel roof is engraved with the Hebrew letter for 'Good Luck.'

Provenance

Goldschmidt-Przibraia, Mensing

Venue details

Jewish Museum London 129-131 Albert Street, Camden Town, LONDON London NW1 7NB 020 7284 7384 www.jewishmuseum.org.uk

Entry details

Free with National Art Pass (standard entry £7.50)

Sun – Thu, 10am – 5pm
Fri, 10am – 2pm

Closed on Jewish Festivals (see website for details)

Share this article