This unusual cabinet was originally part of the Tredegar House collection.
Cabinet by Unknown Artist, c. 1720
© Tredegar House, Gardens and Park
- 124 x 47.5 x 29 cm
- Art Fund grant:
- £34,140 ( Total: £69,600)
- Acquired in:
In appearance it is effectively a scaled down adults bureau, and was presumably made for a child. Tredegar House remains the finest example of Restoration architecture in Wales, where the Morgan family lived. It is believed that the piece was commissioned by Sir William Morgan for his son. The collection was dispersed through the 1950s and the museum is actively collecting works with a Tredegar House or Morgan family provenance.
Tredegar House; House Sale, 1957.