The museum displays archaeological and ethnographic objects from all parts of the world.
It was founded in 1884 when General Pitt Rivers gave his collection of more than 18,000 objects to the University; there are now over half a million. The extensive photographic and sound archives contain early records of great importance. The Museum continues to collect through donations, bequests, purchases and through staff and students, in the course of their fieldwork. Entry via the Oxford University Museum of Natural History.