The Holburne Museum is temporarily closed until further notice. Please check the venue's website for the latest details.
The Holburne sits at the end of Great Pulteney Street, the culmination of one of the most beautiful Georgian vistas in Britain.
The Grade I listed villa, originally built as a hotel, is home to an intimate collection of 17th- and 18th-century paintings and decorative art. At the back of the original building is a bold ceramic and glass extension designed by Eric Parry, looking out onto pleasure gardens where Jane Austen once walked. As well as doubling the museum's display space, it houses the museum's restaurant – tables spill out onto the lawn in good weather.
The museum celebrates its centenary in 2016 with an exciting programme of historical exhibitions and contemporary commissions.
Upstairs are the museum's collections, which have been thoughtfully represented with the help of exhibition designers Metaphor. Their approach to story-telling is particularly evident in the Fletcher Gallery, where themes in 18th-century culture, such as the rise of consumerism, are told through a mixed presentation of porcelain, paintings and sculpture.
In the hotel's former ballroom the silver and china are laid out as though for a banquet, sparkling under a crystal chandelier, while glamorous members of 17th-century society look down from the walls.
A smaller, more densely hung space is devoted to the collection of Sir William Holburne (1793–1874), which laid the foundation for the museum. It is easy to see his enjoyment of small-scale Dutch cabinet pictures and his predilection for miniature objects such as perfume bottles, engraved gems and painted miniatures.
On the top floor are portraits and conversation pieces from the Golden Age of British painting. Many of them hark back to Bath's heyday as a fashionable spa, when the city was second only to London as an important artistic centre. Thomas Hoare of Bath and Thomas Gainsborough found plenty of work here, and their works are hung alongside canvases by Ramsay, Stubbs and Zoffany. A small number of theatrical portraits that once belonged to Somerset Maugham grace one of the walls.