Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum
Kelvingrove is one of the great civic art institutions. Its 22 galleries house some 8,000 objects, from collections of international significance.
The impressive building, a Spanish Baroque-style palace on the banks of the River Kelvin constructed of Dumfriesshire red sandstone, opened as an art gallery in 1901. It was reopened in July 2006 after a three-year, £28 million major refurbishment and restoration project.
Kelvingrove houses a vast range of collections, from Egyptian antiquities and European art to furniture, textiles, glass, jewellery, ceramics and metalwork. It has outstanding natural history holdings, and a world class collection of arms and armour.
In terms of paintings, it is particularly strong on Old Masters, French Impressionists, the Dutch Renaissance, Scottish Colourists and members of the Glasgow School of Art.
Unmissable highlights include Salvador DalÍ's Christ of St John of the Cross and Sir Roger the Indian elephant, which was brought to Glasgow around 1900 in a travelling menagerie and has become one of the museum's favourite characters.