This designated museum holds significant collections of international importance.
The neoclassical building was designed by Sir Charles Robert Cockerell in 1823, and was later used as the Freemasons Hall. In 1899 it became an art gallery for the city.
The superb permanent collections hold Old Master paintings, British art (including work by Bristol School artists), Eastern art, ceramics, silverware and glassware, Egyptian mummies and Assyrian reliefs, archaeological artefacts and natural history exhibits. There is also a freshwater aquarium.