Dating to around 1520, the house that now occupies 46 Gainsborough Street was the birthplace of one of Britain's greatest artists.
After four centuries as a private residence and 40 years in limbo, the building was transformed into a museum and monument to Thomas Gainsborough following a campaign by the Gainsborough's House National Appeal Committee. Thanks to generous donations of art, furniture and decorative objects, the house opened to the public in 1961 as a museum, monument and centre for the arts.
The house's permanent collection encompasses the whole of Gainsborough's career, from his early portraiture and landscapes to later works from his London period. These works are displayed alongside 18th-century furniture and memorabilia. There is a varied programme of exhibitions on both historic British and contemporary art throughout the year.