The first European exhibition of one of the most important private art collections in North America, formed by Henry and Rose Pearlman after the Second World War.
New York city businessman Henry Pearlman began collecting European avant-garde art in 1945. From his initial acquisition, a landscape by Chaïm Soutine, he was a passionate collector, particularly interested in rare pieces by Impressionist and Post- Impressionist masters.
After Pearlman's death in 1974, the collection was managed by his wife Rose and then in the mid-1970s, it was loaned to the Princeton University Art Museum, New Jersey, where it has remained ever since.
Featuring 24 works by Paul Cézanne, it is one of the finest and best-preserved groups of the artist's watercolours in the world. The majority are Provençal landscapes, but there are other recognisable Cézanne motifs too, such as a skull, female bathers and depictions of Mont Sainte-Victoire.
What makes the collection so distinctive is that it was shaped by Henry Pearlman's own tastes – he would only buy pictures and sculptures that he liked. Among the artists represented are Vincent Van Gogh, Paul Gauguin, Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, Edouard Manet and Edgar Degas.