The Yorkshire Museum was one of the first purpose-built museums in the country when it was opened in 1830 by the Yorkshire Philosophical Society.
It offers an impressive range of collections, from Roman archaeology to 15th-century jewellery. The building is surrounded by ten acres of beautiful botanic gardens, planted at the same time the museum was built.
It reopened on 1 August 2010 following a nine-month, £2 million refurbishment project called Letting in the Light, which saw it join nine other museums on the long list for the Art Fund Prize 2011.
The museum takes a perhaps unusual approach to visitor interaction, according to Turner Prize winning artist Jeremy Deller. As one of the judges for the Art Fund Prize 2011, he commented on his BBC Radio 4 podcast, while standing on a mosaic at York: 'it's so unusual that you're allowed to interact with objects like this; but this museum seems to encourage it, and they're not afraid of the public touching things – within reason, obviously'.
Yorkshire Museum's collection of nearly one million archaeological finds extends from early prehistoric tools through to 20th-century artefacts. The Roman Collection is particularly strong, and features a statue of the Roman god Mars, which commands the entrance hall, and the tombstone of Lucius Duccius Rufinus, Standard Bearer of the Ninth Legion, as well as a head of human hair, preserved in a Roman burial, all found in York.
Some of the finest medieval architectural and monastic material in England comes from St Mary's Abbey – the ruins of which form the surrounds of the museum – particularly a series of 12th-century, life-size statues of saints and prophets.
Over the last 180 years, the Yorkshire Museum has amassed a biology collection which now contains more than 200,000 specimens. It includes a vast and scientifically important collection representing the fauna and flora of Yorkshire, as well as impressive examples of extinct species such as the Great Auk and New Zealand's giant flightless bird, the Moa.