Wolverhampton Art Gallery is temporarily closed until further notice. Please check the venue's website for the latest details.
Wolverhampton Art Gallery is a purpose-built gallery dating back to the 19th century. An extension added in 2007 doubled the exhibition space.
The building was funded and constructed by local contractor Philip Horsman and built on land provided by the Council. It first opened in May 1884 and contains some 12,000 artefacts spanning the 17th to the 20th centuries.
Permanent displays are dedicated to key periods in history, such as the Georgian and Victorian eras. The Pop Art gallery, with its changing displays, has exhibited Andy Warhol, Peter Blake, Roy Lichtenstein and David Hockney.
There are also collections of japanned wear, enamels and ceramics, dolls and other toys, art by local painters and artefacts that reveal the history of the surrounding area.
Dr John Fraser's collection of geological specimens has also been preserved at the gallery.