The museum holds an assortment of curiosities from the 120-year history of the University of Liverpool, while the gallery is home to a significant collection of fine art.
The gallery and museum opened to the public in May 2008, but the building has been a central part of University life for over a century. Designed by Alfred Waterhouse in 1888, the Grade II listed structure features Gothic-style brickwork, Italian mosaic paving and traditional Victorian tiles.
Spanning from the 16th to the 21st century, the gallery collection comprises fine art, sculpture and ceramics, including works by JMW Turner, John James Audubon, Jacob Epstein, Lucian Freud and Elisabeth Frink.
The museum displays cover academic developments in anaesthesia, dentistry, zoology, engineering and oceanography, as well as featuring sea creatures, animal skeletons and fossilised dinosaur footprints.