The Abbey is Torquay's most historic building, dating back to the 12th century.
Founded in 1196, the most complete medieval monastery to survive in Devon was later converted to a country mansion for the Cary family. The many lives of the Abbey are told through a combination of original objects and interactive displays, which include animated 'talking portraits'.
The extensive collection of mainly 19th-century art features works by the Pre-Raphaelites, topographical watercolours and fine collections of furniture, silverware and ceramics – notably Torquay and Watcombe terracotta.
The gardens are a tranquil haven, with a Palm House containing rare specimens donated by Kew Gardens.